Wednesday, December 1, 2010

VAPOR

Goodbyes are hard, aren’t they? I was reminded of this truth over the weekend as my family and I traveled from our home in Grand Rapids Michigan to my brother’s home in Eleanor West Virginia for the Thanksgiving holidays. We had a great time. My kids and his kids played. I got to eat at my favorite little pizza place. I saw one of my cousins which I had not seen for about 10 years. We celebrated my grandfather’s 88th birthday. All in all it was a really good time, until we had to say goodbye.


The older I get the more I realize what is important. Sitting with brother and listening to bluegrass music, talking with Amber about college, watching my little girl and my nephew play, seeing recognition twinkle in my Popawe’s eyes as after several minutes he remembered who I was.

These experiences helped to hammer home the reality of James 4:14 - whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away. Can it be over 30 years since I was a little kids playing with my cousins? Has it really been almost 20 years since I was in college? Will this frail old man I am talking to ever again remember my name?
Goodbyes are hard. I suppose they were so hard this time because I really don’t know if I will ever see Popawe again on this side of heaven and even if I do I don’t know if he will recognize me as his grandson.
This weekend reminded me that life is a vapor and is all too quickly gone. I must redeem every minute, take every chance to love and constantly remember that time is a non-renewable resource.

No comments: