Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Responsibility of Christmas

This morning was crisp and white. I stepped out of the house at 6:40am to a virtual winter wonderland. The snow gently fell as I walked to the car started it up and began to scrape the ice and brush the snow.

This morning was a good morning. I am blessed. Speaking from a global perspective, I have immense resources to be thankful for.

I am not often uncomfortable. I am rarely hungry. I am seldom alone. I almost always have more money in the bank than bills waiting to be paid. I have my health and a beautiful family who loves me. I have clean water and plenty of food. I have a house that is heated in the winter and refrigerated in the summer.  I have a job, an education and friends and family who would take me in and care for me should I loose all that I have.

I am thankful. While I do not deserve all of the gifts which God has bestowed upon me, I am really glad that I have them. I would rather be healthy than sick and if I get sick I would rather have great healthcare rather than poor or no health care.

The point which the Lord drove home to me on this beautiful snowy December day is that while I have certainly been blessed I have not been blessed simply to be comfortable. You see, as a follower of Jesus I am not the owner of any but the steward of all that I have. How then am I stewarding that which has been entrusted to me?

Consider the following verses with me today…

“That servant who knows his master’s will and does not get ready or does not do what his master wants will be beaten with many blows. But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked. 

Creator God, wake us up…wake me up.  Give me eyes to see those in need and creativity to utilize my resources to meet those needs. Forgive me for spending my time, energy, and money on things for people who need nothing while I ignore the plight of those whose needs are truly great. God give me the courage to follow your example and to do what you have asked. Empower me to follow Jesus and the courage to lead others to Him as well. Amen


[1] The Holy Bible : New International Version. 1996 (electronic ed.) (Lk 12:47–48). Grand Rapids: Zondervan.

1 comment:

petedegraw said...

You're right, it's important to remember that we do have a lot more responsibility.