Monday, April 2, 2012

White Water and Wonder

Nature is powerful. Strong winds, driving rain, and swift currents all possess the power to humble the strongest of men and women. Growing up in the hills and hollows of West Virginia gave me first hand experience with nature’s power. Specifically, it taught be the power of rushing water.

Several years ago I attended a denominational event in Morgantown, WV and found myself in the most peculiar conversation. My brother and I, both West Virginia natives were standing outside of the conference center with a ministry colleague from a neighboring state. After a moment of silence this colleague turned to me and asserted, “These people will build houses anywhere! Look! They just stick them on the side of a mountain.”
At first I was taken back by the comment since I am not used to being referred to as one of “those people”. But having gathered my composure I, rather snidely I must admit, asked, “Where should ‘us people’ build our houses? On one of West Virginia’s expansive plains?”
Thankfully my brother was there to save the day. Gently he explained to our friend that mountain people build their dwelling on the hills for safety not convenience. We build above the flood line. Because when a person, house, or car takes on the waters of a flash flood the water wins that battle every time.
In the same way that houses, car, and people are powerless to resist the rushing torrent of white water we as creatures are powerless to control, manipulate, or confound God. When I am confronted with the power of rushing water I am reminded of how mighty God is and needy I am.

Ezekiel 43:2
and I saw the glory of the God of Israel coming from the east. His voice was like the roar of rushing waters, and the land was radiant with his glory (NIV).

No comments: