Monday, January 10, 2011

Power: Who Wants It and Who Has It

Mark 10:35-52 shows us two encounters with Jesus. Each encounter had a request and in each encounter Jesus asked the same question of those who came to Him, “What do you want me to do for you?”

How would you like for Jesus to ask you that question?

Dennis – “Hey, Jesus!”
Jesus – “Hey, Dennis!” (Jesus and I are always very excited to see and talk with one another)
Dennis – “Jesus, could you do me a favor?”
Jesus – “What do you want me to do for you?”

What do you think I should ask for? What would you ask for? What would you like for Him to do for you? A new car, a new kidney, a cancer-free check up, a better job, a different president, more money, a more equitable tax structure, a better spouse what would you want?

I wonder if I would ask the right question or if I would fall into the same trap that ensnared Jesus' disciples in Mark 10? That’s right; there is a right and a wrong answer to this one.

In this chapter there are two encounters. James and John get it wrong but the son of Timaeus gets it right. But what was so right about the one and wrong about the other? Take a look at Mark 10:35-52 and see what you come up with and then we can talk about it in a couple of days.

No comments: